• Maureen Sharib

    You’re speaking heresy – you get that, right?

    • Jason Scott

      The writer (and perhaps the original survey for that matter) does not distinguish between affective commitment and continuance commitment. Top performing companies are striving for affective commitment. That’s the disconnect being discussed in this comment thread.

  • Adam Kaplan

    This survey needs to be broken down by demographics. I am virtually certain that $ is not the top priority for Millennials. Do you have that data?

    • http://www.facebook.com/sunny.wanser.9 Sunny Wanser

      Why wouldn’t it be?

  • P_C_M

    Maybe people don’t always recognize what motivates them? They say that more money is what will entice them to stay, but if they were really happy at their jobs, they might not even consider leaving!

    • http://twitter.com/stevecherches Steve Cherches

      I agree. What people say in a survey does not always accurately reflect how they really feel and how they really act. While I don’t want to completely discount the survey or results… I do question the validity to some extent. (Wait, did I just discount the survey and results…? :-)

      “…while most workers (66 percent) stated that they are generally satisfied with their jobs, one in four (25 percent) said they will change jobs in 2013 or 2014…”

      What does that really mean? Is that 25% part of the 66% (or the remaining 34%)? And since when does “most” equal 66%…? You gotta love data.

  • http://www.verticalelevation.com/ Carol Schultz

    Interesting survey. I wrote about the “retention” a while back, and it’s good to see I was aligned with this. Problem is that most companies don’t have the conversation with their employees. http://verticalelevation.com/ve-blog/2012/01/17/reward-talent/

  • paul rupert

    Totally correct, John. People have always gone to work primarily to get paid — things haven’t changed. As a flex champion, I see the continuing value it commands. In these toiugh times, it is cheaper than more pay, so maybe equally valuable?

  • Michael Nolan

    Good pay compensates for people’s misery in doing work they don’t like for bosses they don’t respect. It’s the proverbial “golden handcuffs”. I see more people settling for less pay in return for meaningful work. Although, I must admit they usually don’t have children to support.

    • http://twitter.com/stevecherches Steve Cherches

      Interesting to use the phrase “settling for less pay in return for meaningful work.” Are they settling? Could we say the other people are “settling for a crappy job in return for more pay.” I’m wondering who is really “settling.” I know it’s nitpicky semantics, and I know we’re saying the same thing (mostly), but I thought it was interesting. That said, I completely agree with you, Michael. Thanks.

  • Zoe

    When asked if pay matters, people will always say “yes, of course”. But statistical analysis will reveal that it’s the emotional aspects of one’s job (purpose, opportunities for development, trust in leadership, customer-centricity) that are the real drivers of retention. Derived importance will show that it’s almost never about the pay.

  • Michael Nolan

    Thanks, Steve – Not nitpicking semantics but substantive correction about “settling.” Friends I know are ecstatic about the shift and worth the lower pay in return for fulfillment in the most productive years of their lives. They also complain less.

  • Pawel Wawrzyniak

    I would say that during the time of economic prosperity people value all possible perks and bonuses etc. During the time of economic slowdowns and collapses, all regular
    people will value the feeling of employment stability the most. And that’s all – as we can only work hard for living, but cannot live hard for working.

  • http://twitter.com/Britain_Loans Britain Loans

    If it’s an individual thing then you will need to find out what motivates them and use that knowledge to get them to be more enthusiastic about work. Different people are motivated differently. For some people, all you need to do is pay them more money. For others, money won’t do a thing, but recognition will. Still for others, it’s all about feeling appreciated for what they do. The lack of motivation in the workplace can be a combination of many different things. It could be both the environment, people having the wrong jobs, and not getting what they want out of a career.